Thursday, September 20, 2012

September Featured Artist/Crafter - Kristie of Aquarian Elegance


Kristie's Bio:
A wife of a US Marine and Mother of two boys and another little one on the way due in late February, I love to use my creativity and imagination while exploring local beaches with my family. In my spare time I create one of a kind hand crafted jewelry and beach life home decor.

1. How long have you been doing crafting?
I have been crafting for many years, from a very early age, I have always been interested in arts and crafts.

2. What inspires you the most?
I love being out in nature. The sights, the sounds, the peace and solace that one can find in nature, I find a lot of inspiration within nature. I also gather much inspiration from other artisans.

3. What is/are your favorite materials/supplies?
My favorite materials are: seashells, glass beads, metal charms.

4. Do you have a favorite tool?
I love my hot glue gun!

5. What is your work space like?
My work space is generally my kitchen counter or my dinning room table. I would love to have a real home office but for now, with wee little ones, I work within the sight of my rambunctious critters.

6. When do you find the most time to work?
I have a special time of the day which I call “Mama Time.” It is usually between the hours of 8:00 pm and 12:00 am. I get the bulk of my work done then.

7. How does your work fit into the rest of your life?
I love that I can create and do something that I absolutely enjoy within my home where I can be with my family at all times. My husband is very supportive in the sense that he offers me time to work and helps out at craft shows and festivals when he is able. My boys love to be involved as well.

8. How often a week do you get to work?
I have a goal of creating 2-4 products a day. With children, it doesn’t always work out that way but when my creativity is flowing, it is generally easy to accomplish.

9. Do you sell your work? Directly? Indirectly?
I am currently selling online. I also participate in various craft shows and festivals in Virginia.

10. Do you have a business (on or offline)? Consign?
I have four online shops. I have recently been offered to sell in a few cosign shops in the area and am waiting for the right offer and opportunity to be able to sell in gift shops and or boutiques in my area.

11. Do you have a website? Blog? Facebook profile or fan page? Myspace? Twitter? Pinterest?
Yes! I am on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter as well as Blogger. My websites are listed below.

12. Where do you feel your work fits in your market? (Do you concentrate on high volume, low volume; do you make multiples or one of a kind only; Walmart or Bergdorf Gelman?)
I would love to see my work in small town gift shops and floral shops. I am waiting on the opportunity and if an offer arises, I would be delighted! Almost every item that I create is one of a kind. My inventory currently numbers between 400-600 individual pieces. 

13. What is your favorite part?
I absolutely love doing custom orders. I love the challenge and the positive feedback I get from happy customers!

14. How did you get into crafting?
I have always enjoyed working with my hands, it would be safe to say around the time of preschool is when I got into arts and crafts. It is just something that never gets old.

15. Favorite deceased artist? Why?
In an art appreciation course that I took in College, I studied artists such as Monet. I really like the paintings of Monet. I like the way he captured things with feelings, capturing nature allowing the viewer to experience the light, the sounds, the water, the earth within the paintings.

16. Favorite live artist? Why?
I really love artists who tap into nature especially expressing awareness for the planet either through sculpture, crafting with recycled materials.


May your treasure lead you to the beautiful waters of our land.

Need your own seaside inspired treasures?  Long to have the beach in your home even if it's far away?  Brighten up your decor and accessories with a little Aquarian Elegance from Kristie!




Aquarian Elegance on Twitter




Thanks for tuning in for our Featured Artist/Crafter of the Month! We'll see you back in October with our next feature!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this wonderful feature!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors