Sunday, May 20, 2012

May Featured Artist - Melli of Melli's Trinkets!

*And a big round of applause for our first featured artist!*



Melli's Bio:
I make and sell custom handmade jewelry.  Each piece is handmade by me using a wide variety of beading techniques, beads, and other materials (such as sea glass, polished stones, etc.).  I take custom orders for almost any kind of jewelry imaginable and then some.  I also make other items such as bookmarks, key chains, and other things using beads as well.  I like making customized pieces, and anything seen in my store can be ordered to any specifications or sizes (if ordering rings, necklaces, etc).  I also make hemp jewelry, that can also be custom ordered.

1.  How long have you been making jewelry?

I have been making jewelry since I was about 12.

2.  What inspires you the most?

A lot of things inspire me.  Some days I make jewelry because I can!  It is amazing to look down at a finished piece of mine and think “I love this and should make more!”  I get inspired by jewelry in stores, that other people are wearing, from TV, or things I find online.  I love giving things my own spin!

3.  What is/are your favorite materials/supplies?

Glass beads!  I love how many different kinds of beads there are, and how glass beads can also be handmade!

4.  Do you have a favorite tool?

My round nose pliers would probably be up there...along with all my other pliers and wire cutters!

5.  What is your work space like?

My work space is awesome!  I have a large book case that is FULL of my beading materials.  I have a long table where I can have multiple bead organizers open ready for me to use the contents!

6.  When do you find the most time to work?

I find that I can work whenever I get a chance.  Normally I have to wait for my son to be napping, asleep or if my husband is feeling generous, he will take him downstairs and keep him entertained for a few hours while I get stuff done!

7. How does your work fit into the rest of your life?

Being a stay at home mom offers me the luxury of being able to work whenever I have a chance!  However, I am also going to school full time, so I am still trying to find that balance of school, my awesome jewelry, and being a mom!  It’s a work in progress.

8.  How often a week do you get to work?

I would say a few days!

9.  Do you sell your work?  Directly?  Indirectly?

I sell my work online.  If someone wanted to purchase in person, I would not refuse them!  I try to pass out business cards when possible, and am looking to getting into craft fairs!

10.  Do you have a business (on or offline)? Consign?

I have a business online.

11. Do you have a website?  Blog?  Facebook profile or fan page?  Myspace?  Twitter?  Pinterest?

I sure do!  I have a website, Facebook page, and two blogs:  Melli's Trinkets & Melli's Mish Mash

12. Where do you feel your work fits in your market?  (Do you concentrate on high volume, low volume; do you make multiples or one of a kind only; Walmart or Bergdorf Gelman?)

I think my stuff is fun and pretty.  I try to make my items one of a kind as well.  If someone wants an item that was previously made, I will try to instill changes in it that would make it its own piece rather than an exact duplicate.

13.  What is your favorite part?

My favorite part of all this is being able to make jewelry and offer it at a cost that is affordable for everyone!

14.  How did you get into making jewelry?

I’ve always been crafty!  And jewelry has a calling to me!


Interested in contacting Melli for your own custom piece of jewelry?  Want to see her wares or connect with her?  You can find her and her store online at the various links below!







Thanks for tuning in for our Featured Artist/Crafter of the Month!  We'll see you back in June with our next feature!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors