Monday, March 7, 2011

Hellenic Reconstructionist Altar Cloth - Part 3

Late last night having finished all of the calculations for size and an initial pricing estimate I am all ready to start on this project when I suddenly realize that there is no way that I could do it without altering my original chart (which didn't fit the exact dimensions of what I was working on but now that fact becomes integral to maintaining a certain finished size...)

So I opt to place my chart to the exact amount of stitches across and rows, and even saved the colors in an approximation. I finished it up, exported a JPG and all was right in the world.


I wake this morning, discussing the piece with a friend and show her the remade chart. She comments on how pretty it is and I think to myself that I ought to try something texturally to give definition to the border. Because visually speaking for as "pretty" as it may be to someone who can see that does no good for someone who is blind (which is the case of whom this piece is intended for).

So began several small swatch attempts at different rubbing in Tunisian, none of which really came out "right". Were I to be using regular crochet I could easily satisfy this issues by working in the front or back loop in single crochet or front and back post stitches in double crochet - or even just using front posts and regular double crochet. While I considered changing my pattern for a second I knew that it would defeat the purpose of a "perfect grid" which works great with Tunisian but is imperfect with regular crochet due to the shape of individual stitches. Alas...

*ooo light bulb* One more thought has now suddenly occurred to me of mixing the two techniques...I'll be back momentarily to let you know how it goes...

Back *sigh* first attempt did not work, and a last minute idea while it "works" doesn't yield the effect I'm going for. So for the sake of my sanity and getting this project done I am relenting. Perhaps something smaller at a later date...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors